This classic Greek condiment is a great dip with warm pita, or crudités. It also makes a great dipping sauce for souvlakis.
- Food processor
- 2 cups plain Greek-style (pressed) yogurt 500 mL
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed Italian flat-leaf 125 mL
- parsley leaves or fresh dill fronds
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 30 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1. In food processor fitted with metal blade, process yogurt, cucumber, parsley, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt until smooth.
- 2. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 3 days
- Be sure to seed your cucumber. Otherwise your tzatziki is likely to be watery.
- We always use flatleaf rather than curly parsley because it has more flavor.
- When serving cold dips, particularly those that contain a high proportion of dairy, consider lining a deep platter with crushed ice and use it to surround the bowl.
- Arranging crudités over the ice will help to keep them nicely chilled as well.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/