These savory squares are very easy to make and deliciously different. They are great finished with a small dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives, as the recipe calls for. If you’re looking for another flavor sensation, try topping each square with diced roasted red peppers, tossed in olive oil.
Smoked Salmon and Grits Cakes
- 8-inch (20 cm) square pan, lightly greased
- 11⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable stock 375 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt or to taste 2 mL
- 1⁄2 cup white or yellow stone-ground corn grits 125 mL
- 1⁄4 cup heavy or whipping (35%) cream 60 mL
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter 30 mL
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest 5 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 30 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp hot paprika 2 mL
- 4 oz smoked salmon, diced 125 g
- Sour cream
- Finely snipped chives
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring stock and salt to a rapid boil. Add grits in a steady steam and cook, stirring frequently, until smoothly integrated. Stir in cream. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until grits are soft and creamy, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2. Add butter and egg and stir well with a wooden spoon. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika and stir well. Stir in smoked salmon. Spread evenly in prepared pan and let cool.
- 3. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares and using an inverted spatula remove from pan. Serve at room temperature, topped with a small dollop of sour cream and garnished with chives.
- Makes 64 squares
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/