The luscious cookies are appealingly chewy with just a hint of honey flavor. Once you’ve had one, it’s hard to resist another.
Chewy Oatmeal Coconut Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour 175 mL
- 3⁄4 cup whole barley flour 175 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 cup butter, softened 250 mL
- 1 cup packed Demerara or other raw cane sugar 250 mL
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey 125 mL
- 2 cups old-fashioned (large flake) rolled oats 500 mL
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut 250 mL
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans 125 mL
- • Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- • Baking sheets, lightly greased or lined with parchment
- 1. In a bowl, combine whole wheat and barley flours, baking powder and salt.
- 2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla and honey, beating and scraping down the sides of the bowl until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in oats, coconut, cranberries and pecans.
- 3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL), about 2 inches (5 cm) apart,on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- If you don’t like nuts, eliminate the pecans and double the quantity of cranberries.
- Similarly, if you don’t like cranberries, leave them out and double the amount of pecans.
- These cookies are a bit soft when they come out of the oven, but they firm up while cooling. Just make sure they are just golden while baking - they continue to cook on the sheet after removal from the oven.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/