- Soaked wooden skewers
- Sea scallops, halved, if necessary
- Thinly sliced pancetta, about 1⁄2 slice per bite-size scallop
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Finely chopped chives
- Preheat barbecue
- 1. Wrap scallops in pancetta and spear crosswise with skewers (so white top of scallop is facing up). Grill, turning once, until pancetta begins to crisp and scallop is just firm and opaque, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Remove from grill. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.
- Pancetta-Wrapped Shrimp: Substitute peeled, deveined extra-large or jumbo shrimp for the scallops. Brine before cooking, if possible.
- If you prefer, place the wrapped scallops (or shrimp) on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a 425°F (220°C) oven until pancetta begins to crisp and scallops are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/