This dip is a perennial hit…and a perfect dish to serve at a Super Bowl get-together. I served it at a birthday party for my daughter a few years ago and guests practically licked the bowl. If you’re using sweet peppers rather than poblano and want a zestier result, add an extra jalapeño or chipotle pepper. This is delicious served with tortilla chips or a slice of warm gluten-free cornbread.
- Warm Black Bean Salsa2016-09-16 09:21:16Ingredients
- Small (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed 500 mL
- 1 cup diced (1⁄4 inch/0.5 cm) ripe tomatoes 250 mL
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 roasted peppers (poblanos or sweet), peeled and diced
- 1 roasted jalapeño, seeded and diced, or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp puréed garlic 5 mL
- 1 tsp finely grated lime zest 5 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 30 mL
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese 500 mL
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves 30 mL
- Finely chopped green onions, optional
- 1. In slow cooker stoneware, combine beans, tomatoes, green onions, poblano and jalapeño peppers, garlic, lime zest and juice, and cheese. Stir well. Cover and cook on High for 11⁄2 hours, until mixture is hot and bubbly. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with green onions, if using, and serve.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/
- Vegan Alternative
- Substitute an equal quantity of vegan Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.