Known as Provençal caviar, tapenade is a flavorful mixture of capers, olives and anchovies, among other ingredients. Here, the addition of tuna lightens up the result. Serve this with carrot or celery sticks, sliced cucumber, crackers or Basic Crostini . It also makes a delicious filling for hard-cooked eggs.
- A food processor is required
- 1 can (6 oz/170 g) tuna, preferably Italian, packed in olive oil, drained
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tbsp drained capers 30 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 10 pitted black olives
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil 60 mL
- 1. In food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse tuna, anchovies, capers, lemon juice, garlic and olives until ingredients are combined but still chunky, about 10 times. Add olive oil and pulse until blended, about 5 times. Spoon into a bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 3 days.
- Makes about 3⁄4 cup (175 mL)
- Italian (or Spanish) tuna packed in olive oil is more moist and flavorful than the paler versions packed in water.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/