Sweet Potato Coconut Curry with Shrimp
- Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- 1 tbsp olive or extra virgin coconut oil 15 mL
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced gingerroot 15 mL
- 1 cup vegetable stock 250 mL
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 tsp Thai green curry paste 10 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 15 mL
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk 125 mL
- 1 lb cooked peeled shrimp, thawed if frozen 500 g
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds, optional 60 mL
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves 60 mL
- 1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add vegetable stock. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2. Add sweet potatoes and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine curry paste and lime juice. Add to slow cooker stoneware and stir well. Stir in coconut milk and shrimp. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until shrimp are hot. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with almonds, if using, and cilantro and serve.
- Check the label to make sure your curry paste does not contain gluten.
- If you are adding the almond garnish, try to find slivered almonds with the skin on. They add color and nutrients to the dish.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/