The colorful name of this sauce, which comes from the city of Oaxaca, in Mexico, is a literal translation from the Spanish. It is distinguished by the addition of fruit, such as pineapple and bananas, and you can vary the quantity of chiles to suit your taste. Three produce a pleasantly spicy sauce. Serve this with warm tortillas to soak up the ambrosial liquid.
Ribs in Tabelcloth Stainer Sauce
- • Preheat broiler
- • Broiling pan
- • Ovenproof Dutch oven
- 3 dried ancho chile peppers
- 2 cups boiling water 500 mL
- 1 jalapeño pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar 15 mL
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided 250 mL
- 4 lbs pork spareribs 2 kg
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp oil 15 mL
- 1 tbsp dried oregano leaves 15 mL
- 1 piece (2 inches/5 cm) cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 6 whole allspice
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, drained if canned 250 mL
- • Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C)
- 1. In a heatproof bowl, soak dried chile peppers in boiling water for 30 minutes, weighing down with a cup to ensure they remain submerged. Drain, discarding soaking liquid and stems and chop coarsely. Transfer to work bowl fitted with metal blade. Add jalapeño, bananas, vinegar and 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) of the chicken broth. Purée and set aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, position broiler rack 6 inches (15 cm) from heat source. Place ribs on broiling pan. Broil ribs on both sides until lightly browned, about 7 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and cut into individual ribs.
- 3. Meanwhile, in work bowl fitted with slicing blade, slice onions and garlic.
- 4. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add oregano, cinnamon stick, salt, peppercorns and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add apples, tomatoes with juice and remaining 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add browned ribs and chile mixture and return to a boil.
- 5. Cover and bake in preheated oven until ribs are falling off the bone, about 11⁄2 hours. Add pineapple and stir well. Cover and bake until flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard allspice and cinnamon stick.
- To save washing the work bowl and blade, complete Step 3 immediately after you have set the chiles aside to soak. After the onion and garlic have been sliced, transfer them to a bowl. Then once the chiles are reconstituted, you can add them to the same work bowl along with the jalapeños and other ingredients.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/