Here’s a fresh twist on the classic Southern dish of red beans and rice. Bulked up with muscular red rice, this is very hearty — with the addition of salad, it’s a meal in itself. The green peas add a burst of color, making this a visually attractive dish that looks good on a buffet. It is particularly tasty as an accompaniment to roast chicken or pork, or pork chops or a platter of roasted vegetables.
Red Beans and Red Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt (see Tips) 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper 1 mL
- 1 cup Wehani or Camargue red rice, rinsed and drained 250 mL
- 2 cups water or reduced-sodium chicken stock 500 mL
- 2 cups drained, rinsed cooked or canned red beans 500 mL (see Tips)
- 2 cups cooked green peas 500 mL
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, until pepper is softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, salt, peppercorns and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 2. Add rice and toss to coat. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is tender and most of the water is absorbed, about 1 hour. Stir in beans and peas and cook, covered, until heated through,about 10 minutes.
- If you’re using chicken stock to cook the rice, you may not need the added salt.
- When using any canned product, such as chicken stock or beans, check the label to make sure ingredients containing gluten have not been added.
- You can cook your own beans or use 1 can (14 to 19 oz/398 to 540 mL) no-saltadded red kidney or small red beans, drained and rinsed.
- Red Rice, Sausage and Beans: To turn this into a heartier dish, perfect for a pot luck or buffet, add 4 oz (125 g) diced gluten-free kielbasa along with the peas. Substitute brown rice or mixture of brown rice and wild rice for the red rice.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/