Few meals could be more healthful than this delicious combination of hot leafy greens over flavorful beans. If you’re cooking for a smaller group, make the full quantity of beans, spoon off what is needed, and serve with the appropriate quantity of cooked greens. Refrigerate or freeze the leftover beans for another meal.
Red Beans and Greens
- Large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker
- 2 cups dried kidney beans 500 mL
- 1 tbsp oil 15 mL
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme 2 mL
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 tsp ground allspice, or 6 whole allspice, tied in a piece of cheesecloth 1 mL
- 4 cups vegetable broth 1 L
- 1 tsp 5 mL smoked paprika, dissolved in 1 tbsp (15 mL) boiling water, optional
- 8 cups greens, thoroughly washed,and chopped, stems removed 2 L
- Butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 15 mL
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Soak beans, drain and rinse and set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt, peppercorns, thyme, allspice and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of the broth and stir well. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 3. Add remaining 2 cups (500 mL) of broth and soaked beans to stoneware. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves, and allspice in cheesecloth, if using. Stir in smoked paprika solution, if using.
- 4. Greens: Steam greens until tender, about 10 minutes for collards. Toss with butter and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to beans and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
- I like to make this with collard greens but other dark leafy greens such as kale work well, too.
- The smoked paprika makes the dish more robust and adds a pleasant hint of smokiness.
- If halving this recipe, be sure to use a small to medium (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker.
- Make Ahead
- Complete Steps 1 and 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you're ready to cook, complete the recipe.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/