This delicious combination is a great cold-weather dish. Add the chiles if you prefer a little spice and accompany with warm Indian bread, such as naan, and hot white rice. The Egg and Lentil Curry variation is a great dish for a buffet table or as part of an Indian-themed meal.
Poached Eggs on Spicy Lentils
- Works in slow cookers from 31⁄2 to 6 quarts
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 11⁄2 cups finely chopped onions 375 mL
- 1 tbsp minced garlic 15 mL
- 1 tbsp minced gingerroot 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground coriander 5 mL
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground 5 mL
- 1 tsp cracked black peppercorns 5 mL
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed 250 mL
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock 500 mL
- 1 cup coconut milk 250 mL
- 1 long green chile pepper or 2 Thai birds-eye chiles, finely chopped, optional
- 4 poached eggs (see Tip, below)
- 1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, gingerroot, coriander, toasted cumin and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add lentils, tomatoes with juice and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until lentils are tender and mixture is bubbly. Stir in coconut milk, salt, to taste, and chile pepper, if using. Cover and cook for
- 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through.
- 3. When ready to serve, ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with a poached egg. Garnish with parsley, if using.
- Egg and Lentil Curry
- Substitute 4 to 6 hard-cooked eggs for the poached. Peel them and cut into halves. Ladle the curry into a serving dish, arrange the eggs on top and garnish with parsley.
- To poach eggs: In a deep skillet, bring about 2 inches (5 cm) lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Break eggs into a measuring cup and, holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip the eggs into the pan. Cook until whites are set and centers are still soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Make ahead
- This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, continue with the recipe.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/