How’s this for cold-weather hospitality? If you are entertaining on a chilly night, start the evening with a welcoming shooter of hot soup. I serve this parsnip soup in espresso or demi-tasse coffee cups before a glass of wine. It makes about 16 shooters.
Parsnip Soup Shooters
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 12 cup (125 mL) each chopped onion and shallot
- 1.2 cup (125 mL) chopped peeled carrots
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked, drained white beans, such as navy
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable or chicken stock
- Cream for drizzling
- Paprika for sprinkling
- 1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add parsnips, onion, shallots and carrots. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder, thyme and bay leaf. Add beans and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove thyme and bay leaf and puree soup. To serve, spoon into espresso or demitasse coffee cups, drizzle with cream and sprinkle with paprika.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/