Here’s one way to get kids to eat their vegetables, so long as they don’t have peanut allergies – cook them in a spicy sauce made from peanut butter and add a garnish of chopped roasted peanuts. All you need to add is some steaming rice or brown rice noodles.
- Mixed Vegetables in Spicy Peanut Sauce2016-09-18 13:53:13Serves 8Ingredients
- Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- 1 tbsp oil 15 mL
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 4 stalks celery, diced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 tbsp minced gingerroot 25 mL
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 cup vegetable broth 250 mL
- 3 cups frozen sliced green beans 750 mL
- 1⁄2 cup smooth natural peanut butter 125 mL
- 2 tbsp soy sauce 25 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 25 mL
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup 15 mL
- 2 tsp Thai red curry paste 10 mL
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage 1 L
- 2 cups bean sprouts 500 mL
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onions, white part only 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts 125 mL
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Add vegetable broth and stir well.
- 2. Add green beans and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- 3. In a bowl, beat together peanut butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup and red curry paste until blended. Add to slow cooker stoneware and stir well. Add Napa cabbage, in batches, stirring until each addition is submerged in liquid. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until heated through. Stir in bean sprouts. Garnish each serving with a sprinkle of green onions, then peanuts.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/
- Vegan Friendly
- Can Be Halved