This delicious soup has a mild flavor but is very substantial. Serve it as a light main course or the centerpiece of a soup-and-salad dinner, or serve smaller portions as a prelude to an elegant meal. If you’re serving this soup to guests and want to dress it up, top with garlic croutons or bacon bits.
Leek and Green Pea Soup with Macarpone and Mint
- Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 3 leeks, white part only, with just a hint of green, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 1 tsp salt or to taste 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 cup dried split green peas 250 mL
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock, divided 1.5 L
- 2 cups sweet green peas 500 mL
- 6 tbsp mascarpone 90 mL
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint 45 mL
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic croutons or crumbed bacon bits, optional
- 1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add split green peas and toss to coat. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of the stock, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- 2. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Stir in remaining 4 cups (1 L) of stock. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until peas are very tender.
- 3. Stir in sweet green peas. Cover and cook on High until peas are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in mascarpone and mint and purée using an immersion blender. (If you don't have an immersion blender, do this, in batches, in a stand blender or food processor.) Season with pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with croutons, if using.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (11⁄2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/