If you’re in the mood for something a little different, try this. The dates add sumptuous fruity notes that are slightly unexpected when combined with rosemary and a hint of tomato.
- Lamb Tagine with Dates2016-09-18 17:21:09Serves 6Ingredients
- Large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker
- Food processor
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 2 tsp (10 mL) dried rosemary 15 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 piece (2 inches/5 cm) cinnamon stick
- 2 lbs trimmed stewing lamb, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes 1 kg
- 2 tbsp 30mL tomato paste or 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) minced reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock 500 mL
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pitted dates (about 4 oz/125 g) 175 mL
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1. In a food processor, pulse onions until a grated consistency is achieved. (You can also do this on a box grater, if you prefer.) Transfer to a bowl. Add garlic, rosemary, sea salt, peppercorns and cinnamon stick and stir well. Add lamb and toss until well coated with mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 2. In slow cooker stoneware, combine tomato paste and chicken stock. Mix well. Add sweet potatoes and lamb mixture. Stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until lamb is very tender. Stir in dates. Cover and cook on High for 15 minutes, until heated through. Discard cinnamon stick. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serves 6 to 8
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker.
- Tomato paste is, basically, a highly concentrated tomato purée. I buy mine at a natural foods store. It contains only organic tomatoes and salt. However, commercially prepared versions may contain a panoply of dreadful ingredients, from high fructose corn syrup to hidden gluten and even MSG. Check the label. If you can’t buy a suitable product or have concerns about using any prepared foods, substitute sun-dried tomatoes.
- Make Ahead
- Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, complete the recipe.