If you are longing for some chile heat, these spicy chicken wings from The Chile Pepper Bible are just the thing
Korean-Style Chicken Wings
What could be better than chicken wings bathed in spicy gochujang, the hot red pepper paste that imbues Korean food with its unique flavor? My version is grilled which reduces the quantity of fat usually associated with this dish. Serve with beer and, perhaps, some fresh kimchi.
- 4 lbs (2 kg) chicken wings (about 16) tips removed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- Flaky sea salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL0 Korean red pepper powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pureed ginger root
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pureed garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Korean red pepper paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 1. Marinade: In a bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper powder, honey, ginger and garlic, Stir well. Add chicken wings and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- 2. Sauce: In a small bowl, stir together red pepper paste, vinegar, honey and sesame oil. Set aside.
- 3. When you are ready to cook, preheat barbecue or broiler to high. Place wings on preheated barbecue or under preheated broiler. Grill or broil, turning once, until crisp and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes.
- 4. As they are cooked, transfer wings to a large bowl. When all of the wings are cooked, add reserved sauce and toss well to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss again.
- 5. Transfer to a warm serving platte. Season to taste with salt (if using). Serve immediately.
- Look for Korean red pepper powder and paste at Korean grocery stores. If you are cooking for someone who is gluten-free, make sure to purchase a gluten-free version of the paste and be sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or wheat-free tamari.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/