It is hard to believe that something this easy to make can taste so delicious.Whenever I make this, temptation strikes — I fantasize about not sharing it andeating the whole thing myself.
Coconut Rice Pudding with Flambeed Bananas
- • Small to medium (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker
- • Lightly greased slow cooker stoneware
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain brown rice 175 mL
- 1 can (14 oz/400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar 125 mL
- 1 tsp almond extract 5 mL
- Pinch sea salt Pinch
- Banana Topping
- 3 tbsp butter 45 mL
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar 45 mL
- 4 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup amaretto liqueur 60 mL
- 1⁄4 cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut 60 mL
- 1. In prepared slow cooker stoneware, combine rice, coconut milk, water, sugar, almond extract and salt. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until rice is tender. Uncover and stir well. Serve hot or transfer to a bowl, cover tightly and chill for up to 2 days.
- 2. Banana Topping: In a skillet over medium heat, combine butter and sugar. Cook, stirring, until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Add bananas and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle amaretto evenly over top and, standing well back, ignite. Allow liqueur to burn off. To serve, spoon pudding into bowls, top with bananas and garnish with toasted coconut.
- Vegan Alternative
- Substitute an equal quantity of non-hydrogenated margarine or butter substitute for the butter.
- To toast coconut: Spread on a baking sheet and place in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven, stirring once or twice, for 7 to 8 minutes.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/