Rice pudding is a dessert I love and this is one of my favorite versions. It’s exotic and delicious. You can serve it if you’re looking for a Wow! factor but it’s so easy to make you can also prepare it for a personal treat.
Coconut-Laced Black Sticky Rice Pudding
- Small (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker
- Lightly greased slow cooker stoneware
- 4 cups water 1 L
- 11⁄2 cups Thai black sticky rice 375 mL
- 1⁄2 cup raw cane sugar, such as Demerara or other evaporated cane juice sugar 125 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract 5 mL
- Pinch salt Pinch
- 1 can (14 oz/400 mL) coconut milk
- Chopped mangos, peaches or bananas, optional
- Chopped toasted almonds or toasted shredded coconut, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and black sticky rice to a vigorous boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt, then transfer to prepared slow cooker stoneware.
- 2. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or overnight or on High for 4 hours. Stir well, then stir in coconut milk. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with chopped fruit and/or toasted almonds, if using.
- Thai black sticky rice is available in Asian markets. In this recipe do not use Chinese black rice or Italian black Venere rice, neither of which is sticky.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (11⁄2 to 2 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/