This is a Mexican fresh salsa, often called pico de gallo. Make it when tomatoes are in season — otherwise the results are likely to be disappointing. It’s delicious with tortilla chips.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
- 2 cups diced (1⁄4 inch/0.5 cm) ripe field 500 mL tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup very finely chopped red or green onion 60 mL
- 1⁄4 cup very finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves 60 mL
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers or 2 to 4 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, puréed
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 15 mL
- 1⁄2 to 1 tsp 5 mL salt
- 1. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, chile pepper to taste,garlic, lime juice and salt to taste. Toss to combine. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes to meld flavors. Serve within 3 hours of preparation.
- Makes about 21⁄4 cups (550 mL)
- Left to sit the tomatoes become soggy and the onion and garlic start to dominate.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/