Serve these fritters as part of an antipasti spread. They are great on their own or, if you like to gild the lily, even better with a bowl of Tzatziki alongside.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium) 1 L
- 2 tsp coarse salt 10 mL
- 4 oz feta, crumbled 125 g
- 6 green onions, white part with a bit of green, minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh dill fronds 125 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour 125 mL
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (approx.) 60 mL
- Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C)
- 1. In a colander, placed over a sink, combine zucchini and salt. Toss well and set aside for 30 minutes to sweat. Rinse under cold running water and drain. Using your hands, squeeze out as much water as possible. Spread on a clean tea towel and press to soak up as much liquid as possible, using a second tea towel, if necessary.
- 2. In a bowl, combine feta, green onions, dill and garlic. Add zucchini and eggs and mix well. Sprinkle flour evenly over mixture and toss well.
- 3. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Scoop out about 1heaping tbsp (20 mL) of mixture at a time and drop into hot oil. Repeat until pan is full, leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) between fritters. Cook, turning once, until nicely golden, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towel–lined platter and keep warm in the oven while you complete the frying. Serve warm.
- To expedite preparation, shred zucchini and set aside to sweat while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/