This is a particularly easy-to-make version of clafouti, which is basically a fruit pancake that is often served as a dessert in French bistros. Eaten warm it is comforting and delicious.
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) pitted cherries in syrup, drained (about 11⁄3 cups/325 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk 125 mL
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar 60 mL
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour 45 mL
- 2 tbsp butter, melted 30 mL
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest 5 mL
- 1 tsp almond extract 5 mL
- Pinch salt
- Confectioner's (icing) sugar
- • Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- • 6-cup (1.5 L) baking or gratin dish (about 2 inches/5 cm deep) or a small glass pie plate, greased
- 1. Spread cherries over bottom of prepared dish.
- 2. In work bowl fitted with metal blade, process eggs, milk, sugar, flour, butter, lemon zest, almond extract and salt until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over cherries.
- 3. Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Serve warm. Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving.
- Brandied Cherry Clafouti: Use brandied cherries instead of cherries in syrup. Use 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the brandy in the batter and reduce the quantity of milk by an equal amount.
- Blueberry Clafouti: Substitute an equal quantity of blueberries for the cherries.
- Serves 4
- A 9-inch (23 cm) square baking or gratin dish (about 2 inches/5 cm deep) works perfectly for this recipe. If your baking dish is smaller, increase the baking time accordingly.
Judith Finlayson https://judithfinlayson.com/