It’s hard to believe that this simple combination of ingredients can taste so luscious. I like to serve this with a big platter of roasted carrots. Save leftovers and enjoy in a bowl like a hearty soup.
Zesty Braised Beef with New Potatoes
- • Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided 30 mL
- 2 oz chunk pancetta, preferably hot pancetta, diced 60 g
- 2 lbs trimmed stewing beef, cut into 1 kg
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes and patted dry
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme 5 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine 125 mL
- 2 cups chicken stock 500 mL
- 2 lbs small new potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced (about 30 tiny ones) 1 kg
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper, dissolved in 1 tbsp 1 mL
- (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves 60 mL
- 1. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring, until nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2. Add beef to skillet, in batches, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to stoneware as completed.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining tbsp (15 mL) of oil to pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, bring to a boil and boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, for 2 minutes. Add stock and potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- 4. Transfer to stoneware. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until potatoes are tender. Stir in cayenne solution. Cover and cook on High for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with parsley.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/