- Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, cubed
- (2 inches/5 cm), sweated and drained of excess moisture
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided (approx.) 25 mL
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste 15 mL
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped (about 20 olives) 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley 125 mL
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and minced 25 mL
- 1 tbsp white or red miso 15 mL
- Cooked whole grain pasta, or polenta
- 1. In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat. Add sweated eggplant, in batches, and cook until lightly browned, adding more oil as necessary. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2. Add onions to pan, adding oil, if necessary, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 3. Place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you will have two layers), over top of stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until hot and bubbly.
- Add roasted red peppers, olives, parsley, capers and miso. Stir well. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until heated through. To serve, ladle over hot cooked pasta or polenta.
- To sweat eggplant: Place cubed eggplant in a colander, sprinkle liberally with salt, toss well and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If time is short, blanch the pieces for a minute or two in heavily salted water. In either case, rinse thoroughly in fresh cold water and, using your hands, squeeze out excess moisture. Pat dry with paper towels and it's ready for cooking.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (11⁄2 to 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/