Served warm, this slightly sweet bread is a delicious accompaniment to baked beans. It also goes well with wedges of Cheddar cheese.
Steamed Brown Bread
- Large (minimum 5 quart) oval slow cooker
- Three 19-oz (540 mL) vegetable tins, washed, dried and sprayed with vegetable oil spray, or one 8-cup (2 L) lightly greased soufflé or baking dish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250 mL
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 250 mL
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal 125 mL
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar 30 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 11⁄2 cups buttermilk 375 mL
- 1⁄2 cup molasses 125 mL
- 2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1. In a bowl, mix together all-purpose, whole wheat and rye flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center.
- 2. In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk, molasses and oil. Pour into well and mix until blended.
- 3. Spoon batter into prepared cans (in equal amounts) or baking dish. Cover top(s) with foil and secure with a string. Place in slow cooker stoneware and pour in enough boiling water to come 1 inch (2.5 cm) up the sides of the dish. Cover and cook on High for 2 hours, if using cans, or 3 hours, if using a baking dish. Unmold and serve warm.
- Makes 1 large loaf or 3 small loaves, depending upon the container used
- Vegetarian Friendly
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/