I love the combination of flavors in this dish, which makes a great accompaniment to just about anything. Served glazed , it is perfect for a special occasion meal.
- Medium (approx. 4 quart) slow cooker
- 12 carrots, peeled and sliced 12
- 2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil 25 mL
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest 10 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp granulated sugar 2 mL
- 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth 125 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice 25 mL
- 1. In slow cooker stoneware, combine carrots, butter and orange zest. Stir well. Place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you have 2 layers), over top of stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- 2. Add salt, peppercorns, sugar, vermouth and orange juice. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours or on High for 2 hours, until carrots are tender.
- I particularly enjoy these carrots in a slightly bumped-up version. After they are cooked, transfer the contents of the slow cooker, including liquid, to a gratin dish. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and, if desired, a bit a cinnamon, to taste. (I've also used vanilla sugar, which produced excellent results.) Place under a preheated broiler until the sugar glazes.
- One advantage to this is convenience - you can keep the carrots on Warm in the slow cooker and finish them off (adding the sugar and placing them under the broiler) when the timing suits you.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (approx. 11⁄2 to 2 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/