The deliciously rich molasses-flavored gingerbread, topped with peaches in caramel, is an absolutely irresistible combination. Serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and savor every bite.
Just Peachy Gingerbread Upside Down Cake
- Large (approx. 5 quart) oval slow cooker, lightly greased
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter 60 mL
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar 125 mL
- 2 cans (each 14 oz/398 mL) sliced peaches, 2 drained, or 4 cups (1 L) sliced peeled peaches
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 2 tsp baking soda 10 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 tbsp ground ginger 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
- 1⁄2 cup molasses 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water 125 mL
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened 125 mL
- 1 cup packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1 egg
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Spread over bottom of prepared slow cooker stoneware. Arrange peaches on top.
- 1. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine molasses and boiling water. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, if desired, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg until incorporated. Add flour mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour batter over peaches.
- 2. Place a clean tea towel over top of slow cooker stoneware. Cover and cook on High for 21⁄2 to 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. When ready to serve, slice and invert onto plate. Top with vanilla ice cream, if using.
- Apple Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake: Substitute 4 cups (1 L) chopped peeled apples for the peaches.
- To prevent accumulated moisture from dripping on the cake batter, place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you will have two layers), across the top of the stoneware before covering. The towel will absorb the moisture generated during cooking.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/