This is a fairly straightforward recipe for chicken cooked in white wine, distinguished by the addition of fresh sage and sliced green olives, which add pleasant acidity to the sauce. Served over polenta, it makes a delicious one-dish meal.
Italian-Style Chicken in White Wine with Olives and Polenta
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 batch polenta
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 3 lbs skin-on bone-in chicken breasts, cut into 1.5 kg
- serving-size pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning 10 mL
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped, or dried sage 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL)
- dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper 1 mL
- 2 tbsp whole barley flour 25 mL
- 1 cup dry white wine 250 mL
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock 250 mL
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced pitted green olives 250 mL
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 15 mL
- • Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add chicken, in batches, and brown, turning once, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate as completed and set aside.
- 2. Add onions, carrots and celery to pan and cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, sage, black pepper, cayenne and salt to taste and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add barley flour and cook, stirring, until mixture congeals, for 1 minute.
- Add wine and stock and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Cover and bake in preheated oven until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes. Stir in olives and lemon juice.
- 3. To serve: Spread polenta over a deep platter and top with chicken and sauce.
- Have your butcher cut chicken breasts into quarters.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/