These Italian-inspired sandwiches make a great weeknight meal that’s a big hit with both kids and adults. If you like your sandwiches spicy, garnish them with roasted banana peppers. All this needs is a tossed salad to complete the meal.
Hot Sausage Sandwiches
- Medium to large (31⁄2 to 5 quart) slow cooker
- Rimmed baking sheet
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed 500 g
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves 10 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- 1 piece (2 inches/5 cm) cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, optional 125 mL
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 French baguette, cut into 4 pieces and split horizontally
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella 250 mL
- Roasted banana peppers, optional
- 1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, until sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add oregano, salt, peppercorns and cinnamon stick and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, if using, bring to a boil and boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- 2. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- 3. When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Place top halves of baguette on baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with mozzarella. Place under broiler until cheese melts and begins to brown. To serve, place 1 bottom half of baguette on each plate. Spoon sausage mixture over, garnish with hot peppers, if using, and top with grilled cheese half.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (approx. 11⁄2 to 3 quart) slow cooker.
- Make Ahead
- Complete Step 1. Cover mixture, ensuring it cools promptly (see Making Ahead, page 17), and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When you're ready to cook, complete the recipe.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/