I love to make this delicious dessert in the fall when apples and cranberries are in season. This version is a little tart, which suits my taste, but if you have a sweet tooth, add more sugar to the cranberry mixture.
Delectable Apple-Cranberry Coconut Crisp
- Medium (approx. 31⁄2 quart) slow cooker, lightly greased
- 4 cups sliced, peeled apples 1 L
- 2 cups cranberries, thawed if frozen 500 mL
- 1⁄3 cup coconut or other palm sugar 75 mL125 mL
- 1 tbsp cornstarch 15 mL
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice or port wine 30 mL
- Coconut Topping
- 1⁄2 cup coconut or other palm sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats 125 mL
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut 60 mL
- 1⁄4 cup butter 60 mL
- 1. In a bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and lemon juice or port. Mix well and transfer to prepared stoneware.
- 1. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut and butter. Using two forks or your fingers, combine until crumbly. Spread over apple mixture.
- 2. Place a clean tea towel, folded in half (so you will have two layers), over top of stoneware. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until crisp is hot and bubbly. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
- Apple-Coconut Crisp: Use 6 cups (1.5 L) sliced apples, omit cranberries, reduce sugar to 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) and use lemon juice rather than port wine.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (approx. 11⁄2 to 3 quart) slow cooker.
Judith Finlayson http://judithfinlayson.com/